If you lost a loved one in a car accident, you may be owed compensation for their wrongful death. At the Wood Law Firm, attorney Channy F. Wood is dedicated to helping victims of car accidents, and their families, find justice. Here’s a breakdown of the most common causes of fatal car accidents.
Fatal Car Accident Statistics in the United States
It is a tragedy that more than 37,000 Americans die in car accidents every year. The numbers are just as sobering when they’re broken down in more detail:
- More than 1,600 children under the age of 15 die in car accidents in the U.S. every year
- Nearly 8,000 people killed in car accidents annually are between the ages of 16 and 20
- More than 2 million additional Americans yearly suffer permanent injuries because of a car accident
Top Causes of Fatal Car Accidents in the United States
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, these are the most common causes of deadly car crashes:
- Drunk driving: This is responsible for nearly a third of all fatal car accidents, or more than 10,000 per year, in the U.S. Driving drunk means you have slower reaction times, impaired vision, and poorer judgment.
- Not wearing a seatbelt: Lack of seatbelts also causes more than 10,000 fatalities every year. Without a seatbelt, it is easy to be ejected from your seat and suffer severe injuries as a result.
- Speeding: Excessive speed is also a factor in nearly 10,000 fatal accidents annually. Speeding means you have less time to react to occurrences on the road, and collisions happen at a higher velocity.
- Texting and driving: This is a factor in about 3,000 fatal car accidents every year, but with the increasing prevalence of cell phones, that number is growing. You are 23 times more likely to crash while texting and driving. Sending or receiving a text occupies a driver’s attention for 4.6 seconds — enough time to drive the length of a football field at 55 miles per hour. Furthermore, it takes about 30 seconds for your brain to refocus on the road after looking at your phone.
Wrongful Death Damages from Car Accidents
If someone you loved was killed in a car accident, you may be owed damages for their wrongful death. The damages you can recover from a wrongful death claim include:
- Any medical expenses incurred by the deceased before they died
- The deceased’s pain and suffering
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Lost wages that would have been earned until the deceased’s anticipated retirement
- Loss of love and companionship
Schedule Your Car Accident Lawyer Consultation Today
Mr. Wood is committed to helping ordinary people who have suffered because of the actions of others. No amount of money could ever replace a family member, but Mr. Wood will fight to see that people who lost loved ones in car accidents at least have their financial burden eased.
Mr. Wood was born and raised on his family’s panhandle farm. He is not just a lawyer. He is a Texan. He serves Amarillo and the surrounding areas of Texas. Call (806) 304-0447 today to schedule a consultation.