Amarillo Rideshare Accident Attorney
Uber & Lyft Accident Claims in Texas
If you were involved in an accident with an Uber, Lyft, or another rideshare vehicle, you may face numerous challenges in recovering compensation for your damages. Rideshare accidents are far more complicated than typical car accident claims; it’s important that you have an experienced legal team on your side that can protect your rights and help you navigate the process of filing a claim.
Since 1999, Wood Law Firm, LLP has been representing injured individuals throughout Texas, as well as the surviving family members of those wrongfully killed. If you were seriously injured or if your loved one died in an Uber or Lyft accident, we can help you fight for the justice and fair compensation you are owed.
For a free, no-obligation consultation, call (806) 304-0447 today. You do not owe any attorneys’ fees unless/until we win your case.
Who Is Liable for an Uber or Lyft Accident?
As previously mentioned, rideshare accident cases are often very complicated. One of the things that makes these types of claims so complex is the issue of liability.
In a given rideshare accident case, any of the following parties could potentially be liable:
- The rideshare driver
- Another negligent motorist
- The manufacturer of a defective vehicle/auto part
- Another third party, such as a negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
In a typical Texas car accident case, an injured victim can file a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver’s auto insurance provider. When it comes to commercial vehicles, such as taxicabs and buses, an injured accident victim can often bring a claim against the company that employs the driver when the driver was responsible for the accident. This is because employers are generally—though not always—liable for the conduct of their employees.
However, both Uber and Lyft classify their employees as independent contractors, not employees. This limits their liability in the event of an accident, as employers are not responsible for the conduct of independent contractors. This means that you may not be able to file a claim against Uber, Lyft, or another rideshare company; you may have to file a claim against the rideshare driver’s private auto insurance provider. However, there is a strong likelihood that such a claim will be denied, as most private auto insurance policies exclude coverage when a person is operating a vehicle in a commercial capacity.
So, what are your options?
The good news is that both Uber and Lyft offer some insurance coverage for individuals who are involved in accidents with their drivers. You may be able to seek compensation through this coverage after the rideshare driver’s private auto insurance company denies your initial claim.
What Coverage Is Available in Uber & Lyft Accidents?
The amount of coverage available depends on the specific circumstances of the accident. Both Uber and Lyft offer varying degrees of coverage depending on the “driving period” in which the accident occurred.
- Period 0: In period 0, the driver has the rideshare app turned off and is not actively looking for or providing rides for the rideshare company. Uber and Lyft do not provide any coverage during period 0; accident claims must be filed with the driver’s private auto insurance carrier.
- Period 1: Period 1 is when the driver has the app turned on and is looking for a ride but has not yet accepted or picked up a passenger. During period 1, Uber and Lyft offer up to $50,000/$100,000 in bodily injury per person/accident and up to $25,000 in property damage.
- Period 2: When the driver has the app turned on, has accepted a ride, and is on the way to pick up the passenger but does not have a passenger in the vehicle, this is known as period 2. Uber and Lyft offer up to $1 million in coverage during period 2.
- Period 3: Period 3 occurs when the driver has the app turned on, has accepted a ride, and has picked up the passenger/has the passenger in the vehicle. During period 3, Uber and Lyft offer up to $1 million in coverage.
The circumstances of your accident—such as whether you were the passenger of a rideshare vehicle or you were driving your own car and were hit by a rideshare driver who was looking for a passenger—will play a large role in the amount of compensation you may be able to recover. Our Amarillo rideshare accident attorneys can answer any questions you may have and inform you of your legal rights.
Damages in Rideshare Accident Claims
As in any other type of motor vehicle accident, victims of Uber and Lyft accidents are likely to experience serious or even catastrophic injuries, such as head and brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, broken bones, and more. They may be unable to work while they recover, and in some cases, they may be permanently disabled and unable to return to work at all. The physical, emotional, and financial impact on victims and their families can be immense, adding stress to an already challenging time.
At Wood Law Firm, LLP, we work to maximize our clients’ recoveries, seeking full and fair compensation for the following damages:
- Emergency medical treatment
- Ambulance/hospital fees
- Current and future medical costs
- Rehabilitative therapy
- Medical equipment
- Modifications to a home or vehicle
- Lost income/wages
- Lost future earnings
- Lost or reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Counseling services
- Inconvenience and disfigurement
Our goal is to help injured accident victims get back on their feet so that they can move forward with their lives. We strive to recover the financial resources you need while you focus on what matters most: healing.
Request a Free Consultation Today
Navigating the aftermath of an Uber or Lyft accident is often very complex and emotionally fraught. Allow our team at Wood Law Firm, LLP to handle the details of your claim so that you can focus on getting the medical attention and treatment you need.
We have a proven record of success, having secured millions of dollars for our clients. Our attorneys are true litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if that is what is needed to secure the full compensation you are owed. We offer free initial consultations and contingency fees, meaning you will not pay any upfront or out-of-pocket expenses when you choose to work with our firm.
Channy Wood was kind, compassionate, honest, & kept us informed every step of the way.- Sarah S.
Channy Wood was amazing throughout our case & went above and beyond for us.- Rodney P.
They don’t leave you in the dark.- Diana Torres
These guys are AWESOME!- Dwayne Holmes
They treat you like a family.- Melvin C.