Car accidents can happen in the blink of an eye without any prior warning. No one leaves their house intending to get into a wreck. Unfortunately, that means that many people are unprepared for an accident and don’t know what to do when they’re involved in one.
Amarillo car accident attorney Channy F. Wood believes you should have a plan in place for what to do after a car accident. In the critical moments after a crash, the actions you take can make your subsequent claim process much smoother. If you or a loved one were injured in a car accident, Channy will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
If you’re in a car accident, these steps can help you move through the claims process as quickly as possible.
- Stay calm: This first step is critical throughout the entire aftermath of your car accident. You may be stunned, angry, or irritated after the crash, but don’t take your emotions out on the other driver, even if they are at fault. You need to be able to collect your thoughts so you can coolly and rationally tell the police what happened.
- Don’t leave the scene: If the vehicles are still operable, you should move them from traffic to a safer area. If this is not possible, you and everyone else involved should at least move to safety and protect the scene with flares or lights. However, that’s as far as you should go. Never drive away from even the most minor accident.
- Call the police: Even if there are no severe injuries, you should involve the police in your accident. You need a police report to file an insurance claim. The police will also help with gathering evidence and documentation that you can later use to help get compensation.
- Take pictures: Document everything at the scene that you can. Photograph damage to your car from multiple angles. Take pictures of your own injuries and those of your passengers. You should also take photos of the surrounding scene, such as tire marks and property damage.
- Seek medical treatment: Even if you think you escaped the accident uninjured, you may start to develop pain in the hours or days afterward. If anyone in the accident experienced severe or life-threatening injuries, you should call an ambulance immediately.
- Call Channy F. Wood: Channy has more than 20 years of experience fighting for justice on behalf of his clients. Before you report the accident to your insurance company, talk to Channy. He will walk you through how to report the claim and help you negotiate a fair settlement.
- Begin the insurance claims process: After you’ve talked to Channy, you’re ready to report the accident to your insurance company.
Contact Our Amarillo Car Accident Attorney Today
If you or a loved one were injured in a car accident, Channy will fight for you. He will negotiate with insurance companies and take your case to trial if necessary. He will do everything in his power to get you the compensation you deserve.
Channy serves Amarillo and nearby areas of Texas. Call (806) 372-9663 today to schedule a consultation.